[OmniOS-discuss] Pull request?

Robert Treat robert at omniti.com
Thu Jun 1 21:36:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
> Hello all!
>

> As I pointed out in March, the package service/network/ntp is broken.
> Back then, I was told to submit a pull request.  Even though I find it
> a bit much to deal with setting up all that infrastrucure at Github
> for 14 characters (" overlay=allow") in an IPS manifest, I guess it
> is a given that further OmniOS development happens in Github, so there
> is no way around it.

I'm not sure this is so much about github as it is about tracking a
change. If you can convince someone else to write up the patch for you
that's great I guess, but having folks generate their own PR's helps
distribute the load a bit...

> Assuming I do have a pull request, what would happen then?  Would
> someone be willing and able to accept it?

Speaking generally (as this seems like an open question for all
changes at the moment) I think we would want to have others review and
vote on the PR wrt to merging it in. Once we have enough votes of
confidence, then it can be merged in. Presumably, we'll eventually get
some additional folks with commit bits (ie. a core team of developers)
who might be able to fast track smaller changes like this.

>  Would the fix have to go
> into Bloody first?  Would there be an eventual update to 022 at some
> later date?

I think this can be somewhat dependent on the nature of the fix, but
generally a merge into master, then a cut of bloody, with eventual
backport into 022 for a bugfix. Again, these steps can be reasonably
compressed depending on the nature of the change.

For feature related work, it'd be similar, but things wouldn't be
backpatched, just released into newer versions.

> Who would build and sign the package and roll it out
> into the repository?

I've talked to a few people about this but haven't heard of a
particularly good way to do community signed packages. I think the
answer will be to have a community-owned machine with rather
restricted access of some sort to be used for this purpose. In the
meantime, I suspect OmniTI will be signing things, but I'd like to
open it up if we can find a reasonable alternative.

Robert Treat
https://omniti.com