[OmniOS-discuss] panic: bd_strategy after new loader installed

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Jun 7 01:47:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 08:54:00PM -0400, Dan McDonald wrote:

> Sorry for the VERY long latency.  Started Joyent last week, attended a
> funeral yesterday, and more.

Congrats on the new job; my condolences on the funeral :(.

> The INTEL drives are 512b sectors.  The HGST drives (which are NOT
> boot disks) have 4kb sectors.  zdb shows this with ashift.

Yes, they have 4k physical sectors. But do they have 4k or 512b logical
sectors? My theory (and I guess somebody should just ask Toomas to sort
it out by now :) ) is that loader is only broken for 4k drives that have
4k logical sectors too, not 4k physical sector drives that expose 512b
logical sectors.

What does

# echo ::sd_state | mdb -k | egrep '(^un|_blocksize)'

show for your drives? For my WD red drives, it's:

un 19: ffffff133905b640
    un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
    un_tgt_blocksize = 0x200
    un_phy_blocksize = 0x1000
    un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1

Which I believe indicates they have a physical sector size of 4k and a
logical sector size of 512b. So they should work with loader. But I'm
guessing Geoff's disks have both a physical *and* logical sector size
of 4k, and *those* are the disks that are currently broken...