[OmniOS-discuss] scsi command timeouts

Michael Talbott mtalbott at lji.org
Thu Jun 22 22:22:11 UTC 2017

A couple things that I've discovered over time that might help:

Don't ever use the root user for zpool queries such as "zpool status". If you have a really bad failing disk a zpool status command can take forever to complete when ran as root. A "su nobody -c 'zpool status'" will return results almost instantly. So if your device discovery script(s) use zpool commands, that might be a choking point.

# make sure to prevent scsi bus resets (in /kernel/drv/sd.conf) especially in an HA environment
allow-bus-device-reset=0;

Also, depending on the disk model, I've found that some of them wreak havoc on the SAS topology itself when they start to fail. Some just handle errors really badly and can flood the SAS channel. If you have a SAS switch in between, you might be able to get an idea of which device is causing the grief from there based on the counts.

In my case I have had horrible experiences with the WD WD4001FYYG. That model of drive has caused me an insane amount of headache. The disk scan on boot literally takes 13 seconds per-disk (when the disks are perfectly good and much much longer when one is dying). If I replace them with another make/model drive, the disk scan is done in a fraction of a second. Also, booting the same machine into any linux os the scan completes in a fraction of a second. Must be something about that model's firmware that doesn't play nicely with Illumos's driver. Anyway, that's a story for another time ;)

I've reduced the drive scan time at boot down to 5 seconds per disk instead of the 13 seconds per disk for that horrible accursed drive by adding this to /kernel/drv/sd.conf

sd-config-list= "WD      WD4001FYYG","power-condition:false";

Followed by this command to commit it:
update_drv -vf sd

Hope this helps.

Michael