[OmniOS-discuss] CIFS access to a folder with traditional (owner:group:other) Unix permissions

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Wed Jun 28 10:45:03 UTC 2017

> It's really a pity that it only works If I do touch the ZFS ACLs. :(

Not at all.
I made several approaches years ago to replace our Windows filers with
Unix/Linux systems and failed always because permission wise it was
impossible to create permissions comparable to what is possible with
Windows and NTFS. Solaris CIFS was the first working Unix solution. It
was able to use permission inheritance on files or folders with fine
granular NTFS alike permissions, SMB compatible user groups, really
working "previous versions" or using Windows SID in an AD environment
what makes it possible to resore a filesystem to another AD server with
permissions intact.

This is not a ZFS item. ZFS is a Unix filesystem relying in UID and GID.
If you use SAMBA you have what you may want. The real question is
therefor if you want a filer with a behaviour like a conventional
Linux/Unix filer or one that behaves like Windows and ntfs.

Solaris CIFS is ACL only like Windows with ntfs what gives more
powerfull options than with classical Unix permissions. You must only
accept that you should not set permissions via commandline (best is
using a Windows client). You should know the meaning of the ZFS
properties aclinherit and aclmode. Unix alike behaviours (without the
inheritance question)  is achieveable with the trivial ACLs owner@,
group@ and everyone@

see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbace/index.html

Gea