[OmniOS-discuss] USB issue with Xeon D / SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F motherboard

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Mar 3 15:31:48 UTC 2017

With a SuperMicro X10SDV-TLN4F motherboard with BIOS version 1.0a and
latest OmniOS v11 r151020 (omnios-r151020-4151d05), I noticed a USB
issue yesterday while I was adding an Adderview Pro KVM to the
configuration.  The BIOS is configured for USB 2.0 compatibility.

This motherboard provides two USB ports.  I think that previously I
had a keyboard plugged directly into the lower port.

My hardware builder (who also installed the OS) reported that he
noticed USB issues with this hardware and OmniOS (he claimed a need to
cold-boot the system) but I had not noticed issues until yesterday.

With the KVM or keyboard plugged into the upper USB port, Grub was
able to function normally with the keyboard but OmniOS reports these
messages after boot:

USB 1.10 device (usb430,5) operating at low speed (USB 1.x) on USB 1.10 external hub: keyboard at 1, hid14 at bus address 9
WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,86d at 1d (ehci1): Error recovery failure: Please hotplug the 2.0 hub at/pci at 0,0/pci15d9,86d at 1d/hub at 1/hub at 1
WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci15d9,86d at 1d/hub at 1/hub at 1/hub at 1 (hubd7): Connecting device on port 2 failed

By moving the USB cable to the lower port, USB works fine in OmniOS.

Is this issue reproducible elsewhere?  I think that Dale Gent has
access to the same hardware (but with BIOS 1.0c).

I have another OmniOS system, as well as a Sun SPARC Solaris 10
system, on the same KVM and these did not encounter any USB issue.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn