[OmniOS-discuss] Quick Test of r151021 ISO Install using Xen HVM and an "xdf" Device

Prakash Surya prakash.surya at delphix.com
Wed Mar 8 00:55:19 UTC 2017

Hey All,

I just wanted to post and say that I've tested the new r151021 ISO
installer using a Xen VM and was able to successfully perform the
installation. Here's a copy of the Xen VM configuration that I used:

# cat ami-template.cfg
builder='hvm'
name='ami-template'
vcpus=4
memory=4096
vif=['bridge=xenbr0, type=ioemu']
#disk=[  'file:/root/psurya/omni-kayak/r151021-kayak.iso,hdb:cdrom,r',
#        'file:/root/psurya/omni-kayak/ami-template.img,xvda,w' ]
disk=[  'file:/root/psurya/omni-kayak/ami-template.img,xvda,w' ]
#boot='d'
boot='c'
vnc=1
vnclisten='0.0.0.0'
vncconsole=1
on_crash='preserve'
xen_platform_pci=1
serial='pty'
on_reboot='destroy'

The only "catch", is I have to set "apix_enable" to 0. I do that using KMDB
during the installer (e.g. edit the loader so I drop to KMDB first), and
then edit "/etc/system" after the install is completed but prior to the
first boot (so I don't have to keep using KMDB for every boot).

If I don't set that tuning, the system will "hang" during boot up (this is
a problem with illumos and Xen HVM, and not specific to OmniOS or the new
ISO).

Additionally, I've attached a PNG image with some "zpool" and "format"
output from within the Xen VM running after the ISO install (hopefully the
mailing list doesn't strip the image from this post).

Cheers,
Prakash