[OmniOS-discuss] Quick Test of r151021 ISO Install using Xen HVM and an "xdf" Device

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Mar 8 15:08:33 UTC 2017

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 2:28 AM, Stephan Budach <stephan.budach at jvm.de> wrote:
>
> Can you elaborate on that a little more as of what exactly you did to the loader? I am guessing that you modified the kernel boot arguments, but unfortuanetly, I am unfamiliar with the new loader.

Screenshots being inlined...

Step 1:  Say hello to the new Loader menu:

note that on the new ISO, there will be no "Select Boot Environment" option.  Nonetheless, we don't want that.  We want to modify the boot options (#5 or the 'O' key):

Step 2:  Say hello to the Boot Options menu:

To boot under kmdb  (the kernel debugger) AND have the kmdb prompt occur immediately you now simply enable kmdb with 'm' or with '7', and debug with 'd' or '8'.  After pressing both keys, things should look like this:

Step 3:  Press RETURN to boot, and get to the kmdb prompt and fix apix_enable.

You will get to the kmdb prompt now.  I've typed in three commands:  "apix_enable/X" to show its current value, "apix_enable/W0" to set it to 0, and "apix_enable/X" again to show it is indeed 0.  Pardon the noise on one part... using arrows for history on kmdb prints extra characters:

Step 4:  Proceed with boot.

Enter ":c" into kmdb and the kernel will boot.

If you do that trick on the installer ISO, you'll jump immediately to the installation menu.

Once booted, if it's an installed system, you can login and edit /etc/system to add: "set apix_enable=0" on a line by itself.  If it's the installer ISO, do the installation, THEN enter the shell and edit /mnt/etc/system.  The new installer keeps the newly-installed BE mounted on /mnt so people can post-process it after installation.  We MAY exploit this to enhance the installation menu and installation experience.

Hope this helps!