[OmniOS-discuss] kvm instances random short freeze

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Mar 9 16:05:00 UTC 2017

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 10:35 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi
>

> as you can see there are quite frequent short freezes ...

What are you running in qemu?  Another OmniOS?  Something else?

One thing you might be able to do is use pstack(1) on the qemu process itself to see what's it's doing during these freezes.  Perhaps taking samples every second on the qemu process while it runs and corresponding it to freeze events?

> I am running the same script in the omnios global zone there is no freezing over 0.02s
>
> any ideas ?

I wonder if qemu is being swapped out due to a scheduling issue?  I wonder if you used priocntl(1) on the process whether or not you could give qemu more scheduling and smooth things out?