[OmniOS-discuss] nfsv3rwsnoop.d lists NFS writes to <unknown> files

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Mar 21 23:18:24 UTC 2017

> Hi,
> I am using the dtrace script nfsv3rwsnoop.d to find file that are
> accessed from my OmniOS r151020 filer and some file names are listed as
> unknown :-(
> I guess they are files that have been open for a long time and have
> dropped out of some data structure.
> Is there any way to increase the persistence of the name stored.
> I have lots on memory in this system and would be happy to sacrifice
> some if I could see more file name :-)

 My usual way to force many of the names back into cache is to
run find over the filesystem, looking for that inode number. If I needed
to do it regularly I would probably write a dedicated filesystem walker
that could be fed relevant output from nfsv3rwsnoop.d or a similar DTrace
script and then do the find in bulk.

(I can come up with a whole collection of evil ideas here, but I've
not tested any of them and perhaps someone with experience has better
ideas here.)

	- cks