[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: LX Zones question: Do you miss ipadm(1M)?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Mar 30 17:51:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Guenther Alka wrote:

> I would prefer a more ESXi like behaviour where settings
> about hardware like (lofi) disks, CPU, RAM, vnics are zone
> settings while network configuration is done by the VM
> itself with the different but regular Linux tools and ways.

The "regular Linux tools and ways" are not likely to work due to the
LX Zone actually still being Illumos and lacking support for netlink
sockets, which is how modern facilities like 'ip' are implemented.
Perhaps primitive utilities as provided by Busybox (e.g. Alpine) might
work due to being based on deprecated ioctl interfaces.

It could be possible to provide alternate work-alike "native" Linux
tools but these would need to be provided in source form, or in Linux
distribution-specific binary packages.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn