[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: LX Zones question: Do you miss ipadm(1M)?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Mar 31 14:59:39 UTC 2017

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 6:54 AM, Andy Fiddaman <omnios at citrus-it.net> wrote:
>
> I don't want the zone root user to be able to change
> the IP address.

Well, so far, that seems to be the case, so it's looking like not changing anything is a good thing.

And then in another mail... Bob F. says...

> What is not similar is that well known Linux system admistration methods may cause the Linux install to stop working.  Merely installing a package which uses network interfaces might cause harm to the Linux installation.

Given that the purpose of LX zones is primarily to run apps (not necessarily admin tools for the installation itself), I'm not sure if this is something I can prevent.  I suspect if you got an LX zone on the Joyent Public Cloud and used those same tools, you'd land in a similar mess.