[OmniOS-discuss] To the OmniOS Community

Theo Schlossnagle theo.schlossnagle at circonus.com
Sun May 14 23:10:32 UTC 2017

I have to chime in. Communities aren't built on money; they are built on
time. I think there has been an unhealthy focus on how much money people
are willing to pledge without considering who would even be willing to
accept that money for their time. Those willing might not require payment
at all.

Communities are built on collective need and contributed time. It comes
down to volunteering. I have yet to see anyone pledge time to do work, and
from my perspective that is what is truly needed here.

I was hoping not to be the first, but I will attempt to lead by example.
I'll pledge my time to do required security package publications on 014 and
022. As security issues with packages in core arise, I will update the
build system, re-roll the packages and publish them.

If this will be successful, other people will need to commit to do the work
and we will democratize the access to make that work possible.

Best regards,

Theo