[OmniOS-discuss] To the OmniOS Community

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Mon May 15 09:36:29 UTC 2017

It seems my rather pessimistic assessment has started something going.
We have several volunteers making offers of various skills and I'm
happy to join them.  My skills are:

* Programming in C, C++, Java, Bash but not PHP.

* Home-user level sysadmin (configure dovecot, DHCP, NAT, KVM etc.
  without necessarily fully understanding what I'm doing).

* Testing, provided failure won't destroy data or cause other
  non-recoverable errors.

We still need a leader/coordinator.  Theo, would Robert allow you to do
that in company time?  He did say "while some of our staff may continue
contributing" which kind of implies that he might.  That would really
help, because it's quite obvious to me that unless a serious company
stands behind OmniOS, the big guns that are prepared to pay $10ks a
year for maintenance will go elsewhere.

The next step is the establishment of some sort of foundation or
committee to coordinate the efforts of the volunteers.