[OmniOS-discuss] Installation problem with OmniOSce R151022s

Andy Fiddaman omnios at citrus-it.net
Thu Nov 9 10:41:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, Lawrence Giam wrote:

; Hi All,
;
; I am trying to install OmniOSce R151022s and am facing problem with the
; installer.
;
... snip ...
; 4. Run the command: zpool create -f rpool c3t0d0p0.
... snip ...
; Questions:

; 1. The BSD Loader take more than 5 minutes to load, is this normal? The
; OmniOS installer does not take that long to boot.

Not in my experience except from a USB drive. It is loading a lot of data
since the miniroot now includes the ZFS stream.

; 2. How do we install OmniOSce to a partition on a disk instead of using the
; whole disk?

You are confusing the partition table in the disk's MBR with the VTOC label
used by Solaris. You should not be creating a zpool using the ...p0 device.

Try this after having created the partition in fdisk:

# Force re-genration of the VTOC.
# This will result in slice 2 being set up properly to span the entire
# partition.
prtvtoc -h /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 | awk '$1==8{print}' \
    | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2

# Now add slice 0 covering the whole partition
# The same as slice 2 except tagged as root and mountable.
# (you can do this interactively via format or run this)

fmthard -d `prtvtoc -h /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 \
    | awk '$1==2{printf("0:2:00:%d:%d\n",$4,$5)}'` /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2

# Check
echo -e 'p\np' | format c3t0d0

You should see that slice 0 is flagged as root and spans the entire partition

# Create zpool
zpool create -f rpool c3t0d0s0

Proceed to option 2 in the menu as before.

I've just tested this with OmniOSce r151024.

HTH,

Andy

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)333 0124 007 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123