[OmniOS-discuss] email notifications from SMF and FMA

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Sep 5 17:39:28 UTC 2017

On September 5, 2017 2:28:19 PM GMT+02:00, Doug Hughes <doug at will.to> wrote:
>wouldn't it be easier to use your local MTA (postfix, sendmail) to do
>this? Then SMF just has to execute /bin/mail or equivalent and your MTA
>can act as an outbound relay agent.
>
>Sent from my android device.

Not sure: you're most interested in such notifications when something has failed. This state can preclude running an external submission program on the local system, or having it queue-dequeue your message.

But generally (e.g. to forward user mails or logs/events summaries posted from app servers and other systems especially in highly volatile development setups where connectivity and remote services are not 100% granted) it is often convenient to have dumb programs post to localhost:25 and a real MTA/MSA repost that - often to a common org mail relay that is properly known in worldwide DNS and has secure setup to pass offsite recipients' antispams.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android