[OmniOS-discuss] Status of the OmniOS project

Sylvain Leroux sylvain at yesik.it
Fri Sep 8 15:40:22 UTC 2017

On 09/08/2017 04:18 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On September 8, 2017 4:04:11 PM GMT+02:00, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>> To that effect, OpenIndiana Hipster is another major general-purpose
>> illumos distribution that's being actively debeloped too, aimed at both
>> desktop and server, with a lot of software and GUI desktop pre-packaged
>> in its standard repository - in contrast with OmniOS that aims to be
>> the minimal foundation of an OS.
>>
>> Also there are many smaller projects, outlined on wiki.illumos.org as
>> well as unknown cores of storage, networking and other appliances.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jim
>> --
>> Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android
> ...And for clarification - I spoke of general purpose distros but ended on a note of the hearts of appliances.
>
> In that area of purpose-optimized illumos products there are of course some well-known larger bi-lateral opensource commercial players, such as Joyent (now part of Samsung) aimed at hypervisors and related storage needs, Delphix for databases, Nexenta for storage...

Thank you Jim.

Indeed OpenIndiana is clearly the Illumos flagship distribution. I
couldn't have missed it. And in fact, I probably have some OpenIndiana 1
installation CD handing around somewhere!

Concerning the distributions mentioned on wiki.illumos.org:
Unfortunately, I can't provide an exhaustive coverage of all available
distributions. My editor want I focus on 4 or 5 of them. So I focused on
what I considered "enterprise grade" and/or "production ready"
solutions. Namely:
- OpenIndiana,
- SmartOS
- NexentaStor (now closed source)
- OmniOSce

I examined a couple of others I didn't know before like Tribblix
(http://www.tribblix.org/) or Dyson OS
(https://www.osdyson.org/projects/dyson/wiki). But they seems much less
accomplished. Or not very active like Dilos (http://www.dilos.org/).

Concerning Delphix -- I didn't know that one. I will definitely take a
look at that...

Once again, thank you Jim
- Sylvain

--