[OmniOS-discuss] issue 8984 (fix for 6764 breaks ACL inheritance)

Andries Annema an3s.annema at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:20:43 UTC 2018

Playing around with r151022, I may have bumped into the same issue here.
The ACE's that I set on the parent directory are nicely inherited, but
on top of that, another ACE for owner@, group@ and everyone@ is added.

Another weird thing I noticed is that these unwanted ACE's are *only*
added when the file is created directly from the command line on the
server itself or from a non-global zone that has the dataset
lofs-mounted; files created from a Windows client, through a CIFS/SMB
mount, do *not* get the extra unwanted ACE's. Now, where the heck does
that difference come from...?!

I have the relevant dataset properties set to "aclinherit=passthrough-x"
and "aclmode=passthrough".
The top-level directory has been altered up-front with "chmod -R 2777
/tank" and, to force the group-ID, "chmod -R g+s /tank".
The whole procedure of creating my datasets is not different than what I
did on r151014. I also meticulously compared the settings on both
releases, but can't seem to find any obvious difference. Or anything at all.

Here is some example output. Notice the capital "I" at the end of each
ACE line for the once that are nicely inherited, and the lack of it at
the unwanted ACE lines:

root at vm01omniosce ~ # /usr/bin/ls -lV
/tank/media_unsorted/subdir1/subdir2/subdir3/
total 1098
drwxrwsr-x+  2 dlmgr    media          2 Feb 16 19:49 from-ngz-over-lofs
               user:an3s:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-d----I:allow
               user:an3s:rw-pdDaARWc--s:f-i---I:allow
              user:dlmgr:rwxp--aARWc--s:-d----I:allow
              user:dlmgr:rw-p--aARWc--s:f-i---I:allow
                  owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-d----I:allow
                  owner@:rw-pdDaARWc--s:f-i---I:allow
                  group@:rwxp--aARWc--s:-d----I:allow
                  group@:rw-p--aARWc--s:f-i---I:allow
           group:mediaro:r-x---a-R-c--s:-d----I:allow
           group:mediaro:r-----a-R-c--s:f-i---I:allow
               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:fd----I:allow
                  owner@:rwxp-DaARWcCos:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
                  group@:rwxp-Da-R-c--s:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
               everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
-rw-rw-r--+  1 dlmgr    media     557056 Feb 16 19:49 from-ngz-over-lofs.mp3
               user:an3s:rw-pdDaARWc--s:------I:allow
              user:dlmgr:rw-p--aARWc--s:------I:allow
                  owner@:rw-pdDaARWc--s:------I:allow
                  group@:rw-p--aARWc--s:------I:allow
           group:mediaro:r-----a-R-c--s:------I:allow
               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------I:allow
                  owner@:rw-p--aARWcCos:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
                  group@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
               everyone@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow #UNWANTED ACE!
-rw-rw-r--+  1 admin    media          0 Feb 16 19:56 from-omniosce-cli.txt
-rw-rw----+  1 an3s     media          0 Feb 16 19:56 from-win7.txt
               user:an3s:rw-pdDaARWc--s:------I:allow
              user:dlmgr:rw-p--aARWc--s:------I:allow
                  owner@:rw-pdDaARWc--s:------I:allow
                  group@:rw-p--aARWc--s:------I:allow
           group:mediaro:r-----a-R-c--s:------I:allow
               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------I:allow

Can this be blamed on the same issue or am I looking at some other cause
here?
Any thoughts?

Muchos gracias.

Regards,