[OmniOS-discuss] NTP Service error

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jan 25 09:29:28 UTC 2018

On January 25, 2018 1:51:05 AM UTC, Software Information <softwareinforjam at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi All
>Today I made the switch updating my r151020 box to omniosce in
>production
>and I am now left with just two issues.
>
>ntp won't start on one zone. All the dependent services are online.
>
>The log says:
>[ Jan 24 19:04:50 Method "start" exited with status 96. ]
>[ Jan 24 19:49:39 Enabled. ]
>[ Jan 24 19:49:40 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/ntp start").
>]
>[ Jan 24 19:49:40 svc.startd could not set context for method:  ]
>setppriv: Not owner
>
>Not quite sure what this means. Could anyone give me a pointer please?
>
>Kind Regards

Local zones normally can not control the host system clock, so you need to add a

  <zone ... limitpriv="default,priv_sys_time">

into the zone's XML descriptor (or do the equivalent via zonecfg).

Not sure it will let you actually set host time from the local zone (probably you'll need an NTP client in the NGZ to set the physical clock), but this will allow you to run an NTP server to give out time to clients.

Note that you might have to fiddle with ntp.conf also, so the server does not report itself as a useless 'stratum 16' (since it has not confirmed setting the clock from a source of known reliability). Note it can take some 15 minutes for ntpd to set its own stratum even when it is in charge of host clock sync; let us know if you succeed to force a number otherwise (fudge did not help me back when...)

Hope this helps,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android