[OmniOS-discuss] How to safely remove/replace NVMe SSDs

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at jvm.de
Wed Jan 31 18:39:06 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have purchased two if those Supermicro NVMe servers: SSG-2028R-NR48N. Both of them are equipped with 24x Intel P DC4500 U.2 devices, which are obviously hot-pluggable, at least they seem to be. ;)

At the moment, I am trying to familiarize myself with the handling of those devices and I am having quite a hard time, coming up with a method of safely removing/replacing such a device. I am able to detach a nvme device using nvmeadm, but removing it from the system by pulling it out, causes the kernel to retire the pci device and I have not yet found a way to get the re-inserted device online again.

Anybody having some experience how to handle those NVMe devices?

Thanks,
Stephan