[OmniOS-discuss] issue 8984 (fix for 6764 breaks ACL inheritance)

Andries Annema an3s.annema at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 13:58:34 UTC 2018

Thanks Andy, for pointing that out. So it seems to be a "feature" of how
rsync handles permissions.
I've been fiddling around with those rsync options, but I couldn't get
it right. That's not a biggy though, I'll take an other approach: use
rsync to copy the data over and afterwards correct the ACLs on the
target by running commands like:

"find <location> type -f -exec /usr/bin/chmod <file-ACLs> && find
<location> type -d -exec /usr/bin/chmod <dir-ACLs> && chmod
<file-and-dir-ACLs>"

That will get me where I want to be.

@Paul: both sides are indeed ZFS, but send/receive in this case is not
an option, as I'm trying to split a large dataset (with a number of
toplevel subdirectories) into multiple smaller datasets (one per
toplevel subdir). But the above strategy will get me there, it just
requires one extra step.

Cheers,
Andries