[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS Dedup

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Thu May 3 12:02:33 UTC 2018

I have not seen yet how much better dedup2 in Solaris is,
but the current Open-ZFS implementation has the following problems

- You must keep the dedup table in any case in RAM as this is realtime
dedup
otherwise a pool import or snapshot delete can last ages and performance
can become unusable slow.

- it requires a lot of RAM that you want to use for cachingand performance.
Depending on data we talk about 1-5 GB RAM / TB dedup data(that is
required additionally to your cache demands).

- while you can enable on a filesystem level it operates on pool level.
once activated you cannot disable beside a pool destroy.

In the end, it may be a good idea but only when you have enough RAM and
very high dedup rates (say >5-10)
that are much better then the compress rate with lz4

Mostly the dedup rate is not good enough compared to a larger pool with
lz4 dedup
where you do not need to care about the dedup restrictions.

gea
@napp-it.org