[OmniOS-discuss] sasinfo, mpathadm, stmsboot, etc.

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Thu Oct 25 09:53:47 UTC 2018

Hi!

System S/W: root at o2:~# uname -a
SunOS o2 5.11 omnios-r151026-d9b45886bd i86pc i386 i86pc

System H/W: HP DL360g8e, LSI SAS 9200 8e, enclosure HP MSA70

I got some strangeness here. I marked the lines with XXX:

root at o2:~# prtconf -D | grep mpt
            pci1000,3080, instance #0 (driver name: mpt_sas)
                iport, instance #4 (driver name: mpt_sas)
                iport, instance #3 (driver name: mpt_sas)

root at o2:~# sasinfo hba -v
HBA Name: SUNW-mpt_sas-0
    Manufacturer: LSISAS2008
    Model:  SAS9200-8e
    Firmware Version: 19.0.0.0
    FCode/BIOS Version: not available
    Serial Number: LSISAS2008ALL:SAS9200-8eH3-25260-02BSP11340816
    Driver Name: mpt_sas
    Driver Version: MPTSAS HBA Driver 00.00.00.24
XXX    Number of HBA Ports: 1

root at o2:~# sasinfo hba-port -v
HBA Name: SUNW-mpt_sas-0
  HBA Port Name: /dev/cfg/c6
    Type: SAS Device
    State: online
    Local SAS Address: 500605b0035a6014
    Attached SAS Address: 5001438009459980
XXX    Number of Phys: 8
root at o2:~#

sasinfo hba -v displays 1 port? And sasinfo hba-port -v displays 8 phys? Hmmm...

The HBA has 8 phys, right, but if you count ports, well, either it is 8 or 2, depending if you count connectors or phys. It can never be 1 port, imo.

In this particular setup the two connectors are connected to the two different I/O controller boards on the enclosure, which makes it multipath.

I have checked the multipath with booting with each of the connectors off/on, and it works fine.

I have also checked the mpathadm, and it doesn't provide lu's with the command mpathadm list lu. It should, imo. sasinfo lu -v does.

But I would like to get a multipath view of them.

mpathadm also only list 1 initiator port:

root at o2:~# mpathadm list initiator-port
Initiator Port:  w500605b0035a6014

There is also the stmsboot utility. Maybe if I run stmsboot -e it would change things for the mpathadm?

I feel a bit confused over this, don't get a grip over it, doesn't look logical to me...

So, if some of you can shed some light, I'd be happy!

Best regards from/Med vänliga hälsningar från

Johan Kragsterman

Capvert