[OmniOS-discuss] Low latency networking

Chris Nagele nagele at wildbit.com
Sun Aug 5 10:41:53 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,

> Check all cable ends for errors. In an extreme case, we sent an Engineer to
> Germany
> to solve a "performance problem" that turned out to be a bad SFP+
> transceiver. The bill
> was, shall we say, higher than the average service call :-)

At first I thought that was the issue, but I tested in Debian and got
sub 1ms ping times and much faster NFS benchmarks. I adjusted the
ixgbe.conf file and set the following:

default_mtu=9000;
intr_throttling=0;

Reference: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/focus-areas/bi-datawarehousing/sas/o11-075-sas-grid-computing-485336.html

This got the ping times down from 0.225ms to 0.17ms. I'm still trying
to get closer to the 0.08ms that I get on Debian.

What are your thoughts on Infiniband?

Chris