[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS auto_home mounts on /home.... so???

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 14:13:03 EST 2012

On Dec 29, 2012, at 6:17 PM, steve at linuxsuite.org wrote:

> I installed OmniOS and added a couple of users with useradd and
> home dirs in /home. When I rebooted they were gone. df -a
> shows that something called auto_home was mounted
> on home. So I unmounted /home and of course the home dirs
> are now visible. I found a file /etc/auto_home that had
> an entry in it and commented it out. Now boots ok... so
>
> Why did /home got mounted?

Because that’s what auto_home tells it to do.

> Is this expected?

Yes. This is how Solaris has worked for many years. In a commercial environment the automouter is your friend. The benefits may not be so clear for personal use.

> What is the correct way to deal with this?

This would be a good place to start: http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/4120-Less-known-Solaris-Features-exporthome-home-autofs.html

Phil