[OmniOS-discuss] Trouble with drive detection on Installation.

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Sun Jul 8 16:29:15 EDT 2012

Let's try to figure if this is an installer bug or an OS detection
bug.  When you boot the text installer image, there is an option to
drop to a prompt.  If you could run that and then run "format" from
there, you should be able to see *all* the disks.  If format works,
then there is a bug in the installer.  If format does not show the
disks, we have a more serious bug.

The ISO image installer we use in OmniOS is "caimam" from Oracle.  It
is subject to the evils of a close-core model.  The current open
source release of caiman relies on features and functions of the
underlying system that have been altered since they sources were
closed.  Because of this, we've found a few issues in the installer
itself acting poorly on our Illumos.

If you are going to be doing a lot of installs, consider the Kayak installer.

Of course, as this is all open... if you know the problem and can
propose a patch, we'll happily work to integrate it!

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Russ Thompson <vigornj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> I am in the process of evaluating OmniOS as an in house replacement for
> Nexenta.  We have ran into several issues during the installation (albeit
> minor).
>
> Our setup consists of:
> LSI HBA (cabled to Supermicro PCB/backplane).
> 12x 2TB drives (for our main pool)
> 6x   3TB drives (for our backup pool)
> 4x   250GB SSD Drives (L2Arch)
> 1x   4GB DDRdrive (ZIL)
>
> The BIOS and LSI HBA detect all of the drives.  However during installation,
> OmniOS detects all drives, except 3 of the SSD drives.  It's only detecting
> one of those, all other drives are detected.  Downloaded the LSI utility and
> am able to see the drives through the CLI once booted into OmniOS.
>
> What are we missing?
>
> We also have two SSD hard drives connected to the onboard controller, these
> drives are for the OS.  When we configure them in RAID1 (using Intel Rapid
> Raid), OmniOS no longer detects the drive.  We can only see the drives when
> they're not part of a RAID array.
>
> Any-help is appreciated.
>
> - Russ

Theo Schlossnagle