[OmniOS-discuss] kvm / zones

Kaspar Schiess kaspar.schiess at absurd.li
Thu Nov 1 04:48:55 EDT 2012

Hei Paul,

> On another note, vmadm seems fairly powerful and useful for managing kvm
> instances, more so than trying to do everything by hand. It is a bit SmartOS
> centric though, I don't know if it would be useful to try to port to other
> illumos-based distributions. libvirt seems fairly popular to manage kvm
> under Linux, has anyone tried to get that working under illumos?

I've created a small launcher solution just like libvirt for OmniOS.
It will be distributed as a Ruby gem and aids in several management
tasks related to running qemu via zvols or iSCSI disks. It doesn't box
its VMs in a zone yet, but I'll look into that next - if only because
it makes resource constraining easier.

Should I notify you when that's publicly available? Or would you even
want to beta-test this? I'll release it under a MIT license once this
is documented.

regards,
kaspar

PS: Yes, it's because I do not like node one bit. But also because I
generally connect my VMs to SAN storage, something the SmartOS tools
would have to be hacked to do.