[OmniOS-discuss] CA certs redux

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Nov 2 22:57:42 EDT 2012

On 11/2/2012 6:40 PM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> I think we'd still want a unified file somewhere.  Several apps want
> to load all known CAs in one go, and that is a bit easier from a
> file.

Hmm, true; having both is probably best.

> I think this does the trick:

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure what changed between the previous stable and
this one, but it looks like openssl (or at least wget) isn't looking for
the individual hashed files anymore:

# truss wget https://www.csupomona.edu/ 2>&1 | grep /usr/ssl
open64("/usr/ssl/cert.pem", O_RDONLY)           = 3

So just putting them there might not change anything, wget will continue
to use the single file version. If you just use 'openssl s_client' it
doesn't even appear to have a default location, you always have to
specify -CAfile or -CApath, so maybe it's a different version of wget
with a different default openssl configuration? I no longer have my
previous stable install to poke at so I'm not sure exactly. Even if I
explicitly tell wget to use a certificate directory it still seems to
just use the single file:

# truss wget --ca-directory=/usr/ssl/certs https://www.csupomona.edu/
2>&1 | grep /usr/ssl
open64("/usr/ssl/cert.pem", O_RDONLY)           = 3

Dunno 8-/. Other than wget not appearing to look for them, your diff
looks good to me as far as creating them and making them available.

One pedantic concern is that the mozilla nss library includes its own
bundled version of CA certs, which would potentially be different than
these? That probably won't be a problem in practice though.

A different question, why put stuff in /usr/ssl? It looks like there are
the certificates (which will now be linked to /etc/ssl), man pages
(which aren't in the default man path and thus not found), a misc
directory with the CA stuff in it, and an empty private directory.

If openssl is configured to look directly in /etc/ssl, the man pages
were installed in /usr/share/man, that just leaves the CA directory and
the empty private directory. It looks like at least some linux
distributions dump the CA directory in /etc/ssl, another possibility
would be /usr/share/openssl. I'm not sure what typically goes in the
private directory? There's nothing in that directory on any of my stuff.

Anyway, thanks much for tuning up the certificate directory. Other than
that, the last three paragraphs were just design idealism ;).