[OmniOS-discuss] CA certs redux

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Nov 5 15:25:16 EST 2012

On 11/5/2012 12:12 PM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> 1) add /usr/ssl/man to the system man path as a part of the openssl
> package installation
> 2) mogrify the paths to be the system man path.
>
> I prefer (1), but if it is difficult to do with IPS, (2) is the
> obvious solution.

It appears man is currently looking in /usr/gnu/share and /usr/share,
there's no config file in either location. I'm not that familiar with
the illumos man implementation, presumably a configuration file entry
could be added to include /usr/ssl, but it seems that file should be
owned by the man package, and updating it from the openssl package could
be problematic. Another option would be to set the MANPATH in a login
script. A mechanism fairly common in linux distributions is to have a
/etc/profile.d directory which contains snippets dropped in by various
packages that are then sucked in from the standard /etc/profile. This
allows any package to easily add a little something to the login
configuration. I don't think that's been very common in Solaris-based
distributions though so it might not be the best approach.

# truss man man 2>&1 | grep open
open("/usr/gnu/share/man/man.cf", O_RDONLY)     Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/share/man/man.cf", O_RDONLY)         Err#2 ENOENT