[OmniOS-discuss] samba in a non-global zone ?

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Tue Nov 13 09:52:01 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Michael Mounteney
<gate03 at landcroft.co.uk> wrote:
> Got all the services running and:
>
> setppriv:  not owner
>
> Don't tell me you have to run samba in the global zone "?
>
> Oh, and where's smb.conf supposed to go ?  /etc/ ?  /etc/samba/ ?  I couldn't
> make it work.

Hi Michael,
Did you install Samba or are you using the "sharesmb" ZFS property?
The CIFS service you get from setting "sharesmb" in ZFS is the
in-kernel CIFS service, which is why it can only be used in the global
zone.  NFS is the same way.  I believe there is effort to make NFS
serving available in non-global zones, but I'm not aware of a similar
effort for CIFS.

If you want CIFS sharing in a non-global zone, you'll need to install
Samba.  Since that's not something provided by OmniOS, the location of
config files would be determined by the package author.

HTH,
Eric