[OmniOS-discuss] Problem with passed-through HBA

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon Apr 29 16:42:44 EDT 2013

> I use about 20 IBM 1015 with OmniOS now (All-In-One passthrough and
> barebone)
> without problem (all my IBM 1015 are crossflashed to LSI 9211-IT mode).
>
> Are you using vanilla IBM or crossflashed ones?
> If the first is true, reflash the IBM.
>
> (I use OmniOS/OI only so cannot say if this is a ZOL -> Solaris problem)

The M1015 was crossflashed using the 9211-IT firmware as described on
hardforum.  I should note that I had used OI in a vsphere/passthrough
config sometime ago and it worked fine, but at at that point, my pool was
2x2 raid10, not 3x2 raid10.  It *seems* it didn't like having more than 4
drives?  Oddly, there are also 2 SSDs for L2arc on the same HBA, but those
are not on the jbod expander.  I am wondering if it's related to the
drives being off and expander.  So to recap: I had 2x2 drives on OI and it
worked fine.  I then switched to ZoL and it was still fine.  I added two
more drives for 3x2 and still fine.  I then tried switching back to an
illumos kernel and no pool.  I didn't try OI.