[OmniOS-discuss] Problem with passed-through HBA

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Mon Apr 29 17:10:37 EDT 2013

This is a power management issue. The drive firmware can be set to handle the
power on explicitly or not. See the power-condition setting in the sd(7d) man page.

I've seen this behaviour from Dell disks, mostly, but I wouldn't be surprised if other
vendors also change this default.
 -- richard

On Apr 29, 2013, at 11:54 AM, "Dan Swartzendruber" <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:

> I have an IBM M1015 HBA connected to a JBOD chassis with 6 SAS disks in a
> 3x2 raid10.  I was running this under ZFS on linux with no issues
> (virtualized under ESXi 5.1).  I installed OmniOS with the latest updates,
> shutdown the Ubuntu ZoL guest, removed the HBA from its config, added the
> PCI card to the OmniOS guest and powered it up.  Only 4 of the 6 disks
> come up, and as luck (or maybe not luck?) would have it, both were in the
> same vdev, so 'no pool for you!'  I was freaking out about losing data -
> tried swapping drives, booting the guest with drives added 1 by 1 to no
> avail.  The errors I see in the log say something about 'device X failed
> to power on'.  These messages are from the mptsas driver.  Out of
> desperation, I shutdown the OmniOS guest, moved the HBA back to the Ubuntu
> appliance and booted it.  All 6 drives spin up just fine, and I have a
> perfectly healthy pool.  I can only assume it's a bug in the Illumos
> mptsas driver (and/or some evil interaction between that driver and PCI
> Passthrough?)  I would love to switch to OmniOS, since it's more stable
> than ZoL (at least right now), and easier to configure.  But not having a
> usable pool is an obvious showstopper :(  And please don't suggest
> skipping passthrough and passing all 6 drives in via RDM...

Richard.Elling at RichardElling.com
+1-760-896-4422