[OmniOS-discuss] 2x acctual disk quantity

Hafiz Rafibeyli rafibeyli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 08:13:07 UTC 2013

Saso ,I will try edit /kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf as you described and will inform you.

why these new disks not dedected by scsi_vhci automatically?

is this because of settings in my /kernel/drv/mpt.conf and /kernel/drv/mpt_sas.conf files?

/kernel/drv/mpt.conf
#
# Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#

#
# The mpt driver, as a pHCI driver, must specify the vHCI class it
# belongs to(scsi_vhci).
#
ddi-vhci-class="scsi_vhci";
#
# I/O multipathing feature (MPxIO) can be enabled or disabled using
# mpxio-disable property. Setting mpxio-disable="no" will activate
# I/O multipathing; setting mpxio-disable="yes" disables the feature.
#
# Global mpxio-disable property:
#
# To globally enable MPxIO on all mpt controllers set:
# mpxio-disable="no";
#
# To globally disable MPxIO on all mpt controllers set:
# mpxio-disable="yes";
#
# You can also enable or disable MPxIO on a per HBA basis.
# Per HBA settings override the global setting for the specified HBAs.
# To disable MPxIO on a controller whose parent is /pci at 7c0/pci at 0/pci at 9
# and the unit-address is "0" set:
# name="mpt" parent="/pci at 7c0/pci at 0/pci at 9" unit-address="0" mpxio-disable="yes";
#
mpxio-disable="yes";

#
# SATA mpxio supported
#
# To disable SATA mpxio, set
# disable-sata-mpxio="yes";
# When mpxio-disable="yes" is set, the disable-sata-mpxio property
# takes no effect
#
disable-sata-mpxio="no";

/kernel/drv/mpt_sas.conf
#
# CDDL HEADER START
#
# The contents of this file are subject to the terms of the
# Common Development and Distribution License (the "License").
# You may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
#
# You can obtain a copy of the license at usr/src/OPENSOLARIS.LICENSE
# or http://www.opensolaris.org/os/licensing.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions
# and limitations under the License.
#
# When distributing Covered Code, include this CDDL HEADER in each
# file and include the License file at usr/src/OPENSOLARIS.LICENSE.
# If applicable, add the following below this CDDL HEADER, with the
# fields enclosed by brackets "[]" replaced with your own identifying
# information: Portions Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
#
# CDDL HEADER END
#
#
# Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
#

#
# The mpt_sas driver, as a pHCI driver, must specify the vHCI class it
# belongs to(scsi_vhci).
#
ddi-vhci-class="scsi_vhci";
#
# I/O multipathing feature (MPxIO) can be enabled or disabled using
# mpxio-disable property. Setting mpxio-disable="no" will activate
# I/O multipathing; setting mpxio-disable="yes" disables the feature.
#
# Global mpxio-disable property:
#
# To globally enable MPxIO on all LSI MPT SAS 2.0 controllers set:
# mpxio-disable="no";
#
# To globally disable MPxIO on all LSI MPT SAS 2.0 controllers set:
# mpxio-disable="yes";
#
# You can also enable or disable MPxIO on a per HBA basis.
# Per HBA settings override the global setting for the specified HBAs.
# To disable MPxIO on a controller whose parent is /pci at 7c0/pci at 0/pci at 9
# and the unit-address is "0" set:
# name="mpt_sas" parent="/pci at 7c0/pci at 0/pci at 9" unit-address="0" mpxio-disable="yes";
#
mpxio-disable="no";

Ok, so in regards to multipath, looking at format(1) I can see that
scsi_vhci doesn't have your drives whitelisted for multipath support, so
that's why you're seeing lines such as:

      14. c4t5000C5002BD75C05d0 <HP-EG0300FAWHV-HPDE-279.40GB>

/pci at 0,0/pci8086,340e at 7/pci15d9,400 at 0/iport at f/disk at w5000c5002bd75c05,0

in format(1) output. If scsi_vhci had detected your disks, the paths
would start with "/scsi_vhci..." rather than "/pci...". No problem, you
can manually whitelist the disks (here's the full manual):
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/816-5177/6mbbc4gal/index.html

In principle what you need to do is add a line like this:

device-type-scsi-options-list =
   "HP      EG0300FAWHV", "f_sym";

Please note that there are 6 spaces following 'HP' in the above
identifier - copy it exactly as it appears here (scsi_vhci needs the
vendor ID to be exactly 8 characters long, so we need to pad it with
spaces). After you've done this you should be able to reload the driver
configuration (via "update_drv scsi_vhci"), your drives should reappear
in the "/scsi_vhci..." device path with the correct number (4 drives,
not 8) and "mpathadm list lu" should display them and the paths to them.
If update_drv is going to be giving you trouble, a reboot might be
needed (haven't tested this in a while, so I don't remember).

You can double-check the Vendor ID and Product ID that you need to enter
in there by running "prtconf -v" and looking for the drive in the device
tree. You should be able to see lines like these:

                name='inquiry-product-id' type=string items=1
                    value='EG0300FAWHV'
                name='inquiry-vendor-id' type=string items=1
                    value='HP'

Cheers,
--
Saso