[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] mpt_sas wedge

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Mon Dec 9 23:10:03 UTC 2013

This *looks* like its SAS drives, but can you confirm that you're using SAS
disks and not SATA drives in an expander or converter?

In particular, *really* bad things can happen when you use SATA drives with
SAS expanders, particularly when you start encountering errors.  These
solutions work great when everything is working well, but they have
catastrophic failure modes owing to cascading resets and timeouts, as SATA
drives generally aren't individually reset, but rather the entire bus gets
reset.  Pure SAS should be fine though -- the HBAs will reset a single
drive in the case of most SAS failure conditions, and these resets should
not affect any other drives on the bus.