[OmniOS-discuss] OT: Similar hardware like MIcroserver Gen8

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 14:53:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks jimklimov, but my idea is not to use a microserver box due to
> problems with SATA disks in AHCI mode under Gen8 series ... And Gen7
> is too slowly machines ...

Gen7 too slow for you? Didn't you say you're doing a home NAS? Don't
underestimate the venerable MicroServer, it's plenty fast enough to
saturate its Gigabit NIC, even while transparently compressing:
https://www.illumos.org/attachments/822/lz4_compression_bench.ods
(This is a set of ZFS LZ4 compression benchmarks I ran on my old Gen6
MicroServer box, so a Gen7 is even faster than this.)

Unless you're doing some serious compute or web serving I wouldn't worry
about it. It's only 25W TDP, so you won't break the bank running the
thing 24x7 at home, and it's multi-core and has HVM and ECC memory support.

Cheers,
--
Saso