[OmniOS-discuss] OT: Similar hardware like MIcroserver Gen8

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 14:44:50 UTC 2013

On 12/20/13, 1:50 PM, Johan Kragsterman wrote:
> Sorry, forgot the list:
>
> Well, this depends a lot of what you're going to use it for...
>
> If you're concerned about performance, or if you're concerned about how much space you need, or both or neither...
>
> I would buy a second hand HP DL380 G6 for performance needs, or a DL180 G6 for space needs.
>
> If you would want both perfermance and space, I'd buy a DL380 G6 and an expansion jbod, perhaps HP MSA60 if you like HP gear.
>
> In this way you will get much more for your buck.

And you get the added benefit of watching your electricity meter turn
into a blower as it spins itself to death and eats your wallet in the
process. By a quick first-degree approximation a server drawing 250W
24x7x365 will set you back about $300 a year - that's more than the cost
of a brand new HP MicroServer. By comparison, an HP MicroServer's draw
is more in the 25-35W region.

Cheers,
--
Saso