[OmniOS-discuss] OT: Similar hardware like MIcroserver Gen8

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Tue Dec 24 21:17:35 UTC 2013

On Dec 24, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> On 12/23/2013 3:37 AM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
>
>> I'm quite fond of WD Red drives. They are just marginally more expensive
>> than your el-cheapo home drive, but are built for 8760 on hours per year
>> (24x7) and are capable for throttling down to 5400rpm when not in use
>> (so they suck less power). WD markets them as designed for use in NAS.
>
> Do you have an authoritative source for the WD Red drives actually spinning at variable rates? From what I've read, while the actual rpm might vary between models, any given model only spins at a constant rpm, thought to be somewhere between 5000-5900. WD isn't exactly clear as to what exactly "Intellipower" means 8-/...

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771442.pdf

"A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM."

So much for technical details, but that's the gist of it.

/dale