[OmniOS-discuss] OT: Similar hardware like MIcroserver Gen8

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 21:29:06 UTC 2013

On 12/24/13, 9:21 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 09:13:26PM +0000, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
>
>> True, I had always assumed Intellipower meant "auto-throttle"
>
> I think Intellipower means "if we called them 5400rpm drives nobody
> would buy them so let's be vague as hell" ;).
>
>> invariable. I guess if you placed a microphone near to it and ran some
>> FT on it you could easily determine that, but then, I've got better
>> things to do with my life.
>
> Seems some people don't:
>
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1285-page5.html
>
> "The two Red drives produced a slight tone at ~90 Hz, confirming that
> their motors spin at about 5,400 RPM."

Well, silentpcreview is a special brand of people who are obsessed about
stuff that I don't care about one bit. For me, the best solution to get
rid of hardware-induced noise is to simply shove the hardware in a
separate room and run cables to my workstation. Anyway, I digress.

Even if the drives are 5400rpm, they are plenty snappy enough for me and
1Gbit/s network (not running any transactional workloads on the, of course).

--
Saso