[OmniOS-discuss] Virtualbox on stable

gate03 at landcroft.co.uk gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 20:13:48 EST 2013

It seems that after the reboot, most virtualbox devices are not created in /devices for some reason.

The symlinks are still there:
    root at world:/dev# ls -l vbox*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jan  2 09:28 vboxflt -> ../devices/pseudo/clone at 0:vboxflt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jan  2 09:28 vboxnet -> ../devices/pseudo/clone at 0:vboxnet
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Jan  2 09:28 vboxnet0 -> ../devices/pseudo/vboxnet at 0:vboxnet0

But the devices are not:
    root at world:/dev# ls -Ll vbox*
    ls: cannot access vboxflt: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access vboxnet: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access vboxnet0: No such file or directory

So what is there?
    root at world:/dev# find /dev /devices/ -name '*vbox*'
    /dev/vboxflt
    /dev/vboxnet
    /dev/vboxnet0
    /devices/pseudo/vboxdrv at 0
    /devices/pseudo/vboxdrv at 0:vboxdrv
    root at world:/dev#

Any ideas ?

One other point that I forgot to mention:  I first installed VirtualBox on bloody in December.  It ran.  I then switched to stable and it ran but VBoxHeadless -v on didn't start the RDP server.  No big deal as I was accessing via ssh and X.  But now the above.

Michael.