[OmniOS-discuss] is it possible to run omnios inside a linux kvm virtual environment

Thomas Werschlein thomas.werschlein at geo.uzh.ch
Mon Jan 21 05:32:11 EST 2013

For the records: switching from IDE to SATA disks solved our problem with extremely slow disk I/O running an OmniOS guest on KVM (Ubuntu 12.04). The libvirt snipplet looks like this now:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
  [...]
  <target dev='sda' bus='sata'/>     <-- this used to be <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
</disk>

Now OmniOS boots within 5 secs! Many thanks to Eric Sproul, his reply (Dec 31 2012) to a post with subject "puzzling slow disk access" did bring us to the right path.

Thomas