[OmniOS-discuss] Marvell 88SE9128 AHCI/SATA3 driver support added

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Wed Jul 3 12:52:02 UTC 2013

On 03.07.2013 05:56, Alex Wilson wrote:
> On the unsure if you should connect anything front -- I have a kernel I built just after those changes were merged in, with omnios-bloody, and it's running quite well so far. Mine's got 4 disks on it that are part of a 6-disk raidz2 vdev and it's been storing, ahem, non-critical bit torrent data (it's all Linux ISOs, obviously). It's been reading and writing at a few MB/sec for most of the week since then without any problems.
>
> That said, none of the disks attached have had any problems as yet -- handling errors is usually where newly supported controllers explode worst. So ymmv, naturally.
>
> On a semi-related note, I'm also using the newly added support for the ASMedia ASM106x chips on a couple of machines (all with mSATA SSDs attached, serving as mirrored ZIL/l2arc on quite busy but non-critical hosts) and it's also fine, just not the fastest thing ever (as expected from the price). Most of the changes for both these chips have just been relaxing the ahci code's expectations about the level of standards-compliance of the things it talks to, and some minor modifications for the newer revisions of AHCI. They're probably about as safe as brand new things get.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback on the reliability front. Nice to hear
that it seems stable (for now). Please do tell if you have a disk
problem and it behaves nicely or explode.

I guess that at least means I can re-enable that controller once I
upgrade to r151008 in some months. I might try to use it for some
testing before I dare put anything critical on it (even though it's just
a home setup).

-- Robin