[OmniOS-discuss] Mail server package for OmniOS?

Steffen Kram sk at kram.io
Fri Jul 5 08:39:54 UTC 2013

As maintainer of uulm.mawi I just want to add … the provided postfix does work and is tested for standard tasks. I'm experimenting with a postfix-dovecot-ldap config, but I guarantee for nothing. If you've got suggestions for improvements, please submit an issue on github. That said, you can safely use the provided postfix for a home-server to deliver local mails.

Theres one problem in using postfix over the provided sendmail. Some core packages depend on a sendmail installation e.g. smtp-notify. In this case I also provide a modified version (changed sendmail dependency to optional) for smtp-notify but I'm not quite satisfied that I have to repackage such basic system packages to throw out sendmail dependencies.

Maybe, it would be possible to enable such packages to be used with other mta-implementations. It's not a problem on servers that do not run a mta … but if you run postfix anyway, you do not want an additional sendmail, but you may want things like smtp-notify for your hardware/system errors.

Cheers, Steffen