[OmniOS-discuss] Mail server package for OmniOS?

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Fri Jul 5 09:00:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 05 2013 10:39:54 +0200, Steffen Kram wrote:
> Theres one problem in using postfix over the provided sendmail. Some
> core packages depend on a sendmail installation e.g. smtp-notify. In
> this case I also provide a modified version (changed sendmail
> dependency to optional) for smtp-notify but I'm not quite satisfied
> that I have to repackage such basic system packages to throw out
> sendmail dependencies.
>
> Maybe, it would be possible to enable such packages to be used with
> other mta-implementations. It's not a problem on servers that do not
> run a mta … but if you run postfix anyway, you do not want an
> additional sendmail, but you may want things like smtp-notify for your
> hardware/system errors.

I'd like to see this as well. I package postfix myself (because I want
to use /usr prefix for packaged software :), but I can't install it at
the same time as sendmail since both ship a 'sendmail' binary. IPS has
mediations that can solve the problem, but I don't know if you can make
packages depend on a mediation; that would allow choosing other MTA
implementations (provided that sendmail then also participated in the
mediation).

--
Lauri Tirkkonen