[OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] Supermicro BIOS updates

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jul 12 02:18:18 UTC 2013

On 7/11/2013 7:01 AM, Jeffrey Mealo wrote:

> from the GUI or console. Hopefully one of these updates fixes that. If
> you have a separate management network, it's a non-issue, but for those
> of us with less than ideal setups for remote management, this poses a
> problem. I would recommend installing any BMC updates that come out if
> the change log indicates and update to the uPNP library.

It's not wise in general to expose these type of management devices to
potentially malicious traffic. One time our ISO group got our network
group to modify the ACL's on our management subnet without routing it
through us and proceeded to do a full vulnerability scan 8-/. It was
mostly Sun equipment of the x4100 line; in addition to pretty much
hosing most of the SP's, it actually took out some of the servers
themselves <sigh>.

Our ISO group is always fun to deal with…