[OmniOS-discuss] Zones failing to start after upgrade

Andy omnios at citrus-it.net
Tue Jul 9 22:04:46 UTC 2013

I just did my first kernel update on an OmniOS system with some non-global
zones and they failed to start following the reboot. Fixed it by patching
the org.opensolaris.libbe:parentbe property on each zbe dataset but can
anyone tell me if this is the recommended process? Did I miss something?

Thanks!

# pkg update --be-name omnios-r151006j

after reboot:

# zoneadm -z ns1 boot
zone 'ns1': ERROR: no active dataset.
zone 'ns1':
zoneadm: zone 'ns1': call to zoneadmd failed
zsh: exit 1     zoneadm -z ns1 boot

# zfs get all data/zone/ns1/ROOT/zbe
NAME                    PROPERTY                        VALUE
data/zone/ns1/ROOT/zbe  canmount                        noauto
data/zone/ns1/ROOT/zbe  org.opensolaris.libbe:parentbe  (null)
data/zone/ns1/ROOT/zbe  org.opensolaris.libbe:active    on

and fixed with:

zfs set org.opensolaris.libbe:parentbe=xxxx data/zone/ns1/ROOT/zbe

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123