[OmniOS-discuss] Zones failing to start after upgrade

Ben Summers ben at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 08:00:47 UTC 2013

On 9 Jul 2013, at 23:04, Andy <omnios at citrus-it.net> wrote:

> I just did my first kernel update on an OmniOS system with some non-global
> zones and they failed to start following the reboot. Fixed it by patching
> the org.opensolaris.libbe:parentbe property on each zbe dataset but can
> anyone tell me if this is the recommended process? Did I miss something?

Did you pkg update the zones too?

After a conversation on IRC about the OmniOS upgrade process, I wrote up the notes below. I'm hoping they'll pop them on the OmniOS wiki, as it currently doesn't mention zones and updates.

Ben

Upgrading a system with zones

Zones are completely independent system images, and running pkg update to upgrade the global zone does not update the zone images. You must upgrade each of the zones to get the latest packages, which is especially important when the kernel is updated to keep the system libraries matching the kernel.

The following instructions will always apply an update successfully and safely:

 * Shut down each zone: zlogin <zonename> shutdown -i5 -g0 -y

 * Detach each zone: zoneadm -z <zonename> detach

 * Upgrade the global zone: pkg update

 * Reboot the server

 * Update the image for each zone: pkg -R <zonepath>/root update

 * Attach each zone: zoneadm -z <zonename> attach

 * Boot each zone: zoneadm -z <zonename> boot

These instructions can result in more downtime than is ideal, and update all the packages in every zone. The release notes will list any shortcuts for updating the OS with less downtime, but if you are in any doubt, you should follow the instructions above.

If you do not wish to update the packages in the zones any more than is absolutely necessary, omit the "pkg -R" step. When the zone is attached, the minimal updates for successful execution of software within the zone will be applied.

http://bens.me.uk