[OmniOS-discuss] Zones failing to start after upgrade

Andy omnios at citrus-it.net
Wed Jul 10 09:32:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Ben Summers wrote:

;
; On 9 Jul 2013, at 23:04, Andy <omnios at citrus-it.net> wrote:
;
; >
; > I just did my first kernel update on an OmniOS system with some non-global
; > zones and they failed to start following the reboot. Fixed it by patching
; > the org.opensolaris.libbe:parentbe property on each zbe dataset but can
; > anyone tell me if this is the recommended process? Did I miss something?
;
; Did you pkg update the zones too?

Yes, but after getting them back online. The instructions on the Wiki for
the last kernel update release say to do that as a last step.

"
	Updates may be applied without detaching non-global zones, though
	we recommend that zones still be shut down during the update
	process. Zones attached to the system during this update will get
	a new ZFS dataset that matches the global zone's new BE.

	After booting into the new BE, shut down the non-global zone
	again and run

		pkg -R <zonepath>/root update
"

It seems that something went wrong with my update as the non-global zones
didn't get a ZFS dataset matching the new BE, or that the instructions are
wrong in some way.

Detaching the zones seems safest for the future, thanks.

Andy

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123