[OmniOS-discuss] areca or lsi

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 00:03:52 UTC 2013

On 18/07/2013 23:48, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We are specing a new omnios server box ... and were just told by
> our vendor, that LSI HBAs were much slower (50%) than Areca Controllers
> running in JBOD mode ... and that they would therefore recommend
> Areca (we use areca for raid6 in linux boxes, but have never used it in JBOD
> mode with illumos, yet).
>
> Which controller would you choose for a new system ?

Hi Tobi,

I'm using LSI exclusively, never had an issue with them. Their 6G SAS
HBAs are very affordable and remarkably solid. As for the ARECA vs LSI
debate, I'd contest that there's going to be any appreciable performance
difference. *IF* you're running in JBOD, the card should essentially be
a simple pipe for SCSI commands to the SAS bus with as little overhead
possible. I know for a fact that saturating a 6G SAS link isn't a
problem with LSI cards, so I'm somewhat at a loss as to where the
performance difference is supposed to lie.

Cheers,
--
Saso