[OmniOS-discuss] areca or lsi

David Bomba turbo124 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 02:05:05 UTC 2013

High quality RAID cards don't just perform simple passthrough, even thou we
would expect this to be all that is needed in a ZFS implementation.

The controller will (at least in Areca's case) utilise writeback caching to
improve performance, driver implementation is also a major factor in
performance. We've seen significant performance improvements with firmware
upgrades on Areca cards.