[OmniOS-discuss] updating all zones

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 06:41:17 EDT 2013

In the global zone I just did:

     # pkg update

then zlogin to each child zone and

     # pkg update

there as well.  They complained:

pkg: Unable to clone the current boot environment.

I rebooted into the new BE then repeated the pkg update in the child
zone with the same result.  I then tried to follow the instructions in

http://www.thushanfernando.com/index.php/2010/01/14/upgrading-non-global-opensolaris-zone-to-latest-be/

but:

root at world:~# zoneadm -z diener boot
zone 'diener': Unable to unmount the zone's root ZFS dataset
(/zone/diener/root). zone 'diener':
zone 'diener': Is there a global zone process inside the zone root?
zone 'diener':
zone 'diener': The current zone boot environment will remain mounted.

Just to make it even more fun, it seems there are multiple problems
with services not starting in at least one zone and I've had to revert
to the previous BE.

This is with bloody_20121228, pkg update to 20130208 (omnios-1) (which
has been working fine since pkg update on about 10 Feb.) so the pkg
update with the problems is omnios-2.

What have I done wrong ?  Something to do with pkg update in child
zones I'm sure.

Michael.