[OmniOS-discuss] System in a strange place

Kaspar Schiess kaspar.schiess at absurd.li
Sun Mar 24 11:44:06 EDT 2013

Hello,

One of my test systems running OmniOS is in a strange place - I hope to
resurrect it from there. Last Sunday, I've updated it to the latest
version of stable OmniOS and shut it down. Then after maintenance, I
tried starting it again, hoping that it would come up.

It did not cleanly. If I boot into ILO, I can see that the system
displays a root login prompt, but doesn't let me use the keyboard to log
in.

I've since booted to an OmniOS iso and verified the state of the root
pool (fine) and whether there were any unusual messages at boot (none).
Seems that the system boots and then just hangs there, reacting neither
to ssh nor to a console login (doesn't even echo keys back). Sometimes
though I can type a few chars .. to have it lock up afterwards, in the
space of 10-30 seconds.

I've tried verbose booting; no real useful information there - it lists
all drivers and then locks up. I've also tried '-kd' - I get the mdb
prompt, but can't type there (locked system).

Any help would be appreciated. What should I try?

best regards,
kaspar